Saturday, August 17, 2013

Getting back on the court after year of growth



By Derek Jackson

Junior, Guard


I can’t wait for this trip to the Bahamas. I’m really excited because I’ve never been there and we’re staying in the Atlantis, so I can’t wait to see what that’s like.

The biggest reason for my excitement is that I can finally get back on the court and actually play a real game. I wasn’t able to play anywhere last year after transferring from Central Michigan and had to work on my game a lot on my own.

Over this past year, I’ve probably learned as much as I can in a year. Not being part of a team, being away from school, and working out on my own helped me a lot with the mental side of the game. I have more motivation and confidence than ever and feel that I need to prove myself all over again.

Finally getting back in school and being around an actual team is everything I wanted. Kent State is a great fit for me. Our team is like a family. They welcomed me with open arms and I feel like I fit in immediately. One of my teammates always has me laughing and they’ve been good about showing me around campus and stuff.

We’ve been over a lot of defensive stuff in our practices so far. Coach Senderoff is cracking down on our defense this year. We’ve also been doing some transition stuff and putting in a few sets to get ready for our games in the Bahamas.

My goal is to win the MAC Championship. We have a lot of hard working guys and a good coaching staff. All I think about is just working hard and that ultimate reward. I think we can do it this year, and this upcoming week in the first step towards that goal.


No comments:

Post a Comment