Monday, February 3, 2014

Lawrence Offers Words of Encouragement, Predicts Goodson's Big Shot

By Marquiez Lawrence
Freshman, Forward

When Darren came to the bench after he picked up his 4th foul, I told him “Keep your head up because it's not over. We're gonna be calling on you and I know you’re gonna hit the game-winning shot.”
And he just went out there and did just that. He kept his head up after going back in, scored 8 straight points and hit the game-winner.

Our whole team has a lot of confidence in Darren. He's the heart of the team. We play through him, not just on the court but emotionally as well. If Darren gets fired up, it tends to carry through to everybody on the team. Every day in practice, he's the main one telling everybody to keep their head up. Sometimes, you have to let him know the same thing and that’s what I was trying to do. I haven’t played as much this year as I wanted to, but am trying to help the team win any way I can.

Saturday was my first experience being part of the rivalry and his shot is something I'll never forget. It's the first time I've ever been part of a game like that. We didn’t just play for us in that game. We played for all of Kent State University. Coach Sendy kept telling us how it important it was to win for all of our alumni and everybody that has something to do with Kent State.


No comments:

Post a Comment